Friday, November 18, 2011

Advent for Book Lovers: what's on YOUR list?

OK, friends and cyber-pals -- it's time to help a book-lover out. As you may remember, last year I was quite fretful about the possibility that story-books are going the way of the dodo. You can read my lament here, if you are so inclined.

But while the urchins and I were weeping over the fate of good old-fashioned storybooks, I had so much fun sharing some of my family's favorite Christmas-y stories with you. This Book-Lover's Advent Calendar jogged our memories, and the urchins and I just loved re-reading our old winter favorites. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

So this year, I thought it would be cool to see what books you and your families have loved over the years. I have already heard from some friends about books that must, must, must be included on any list of holiday favorites, so now I'm asking you all to chime in: let's see if we can come up with twenty-four more books that are perfect for Christmas, Chanukah, Eid (that's your cue, Noor!), and just fabulously snowy and wintery days.

Bring it, people! Let's make an Advent Calendar!

3 comments:

  1. I assume this is supposed to be kids' books and family books?

    Our kids always loved "Herschel and the Hanukkah Goblins" for Hanukkah. I think Eric Kimmel is the author (too busy to look it up right now). And there was also this book "Blintzes for Blitzen" which was published especially for interfaith families.

    When I get a little more time I would love to make a longer list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice Christmas book for kids 6-8 years old is Big Susan, by Elizabeth Orton Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Story of Holly and Ivy is tops on my list. Long, but worth it...

    And our favorite version of A Christmas Carol is the 1987 movie Scrooged. All household members ages 12 and up watch it together once a year in December.

    ReplyDelete