Friday, January 8, 2010

Guess what I'm doing this weekend?

OK, people -- every horizontal space in my kitchen is covered with . . . . well. Let's just say it's covered with stuff that does not belong in its current location.

Check this out -- and don't be a hater:

We start just left of the refrigerator, which I did not photograph because hello, chocolate syrup! Too embarrassing even for me.

tangent: Who else loves the reusable Starbucks iced tea cup? I don't know about where you live, but around these parts they were coveted and hard to find last summer. My Contractor looked on-line and she discovered that they were selling on eBay for $50.00. That's American money, people!

Mine was a gift.

My Contractor will be introduced in her own separate post, because she's just that awesome.

Moving to the left . . . . The sink has actually been so much worse. I feel pretty good about the sink, if you want to know the truth.

This corner is the only place where the mess might be marginally justifiable: marinara for dinner tonight! On the other hand, the eggs have been there since breakfast.

tangent: The butter dish (hiding behind the Christmas mug -- thanks, Kathy! -- so that Coleen won't steal it) is Carnival glass that belonged to my husband's grandmother.

Here's the marinara sauce. Quiz: Do you like your tomato sauce chunky and rustic, or do you run it through a food processor so it's nice and smooth? It's a debate with deep philosophical significance at my house.

To the left of the stove is the ancient and venerable toaster oven. I have no memory of slicing any bread or rolls, so I have no idea how long those crumbs have been there. The reading glasses are my husband's, so I suspect that he was the most recent bread-slicer. I could be wrong.

In my defense, I went to Costco yesterday.

Are you noticing the sugar cannister with no lid? Cannisters were on my Christmas list, too. Can I just say I'm glad I got a camera instead?

tangent: Canister? Cannister? Two NNs looks better to me but spellcheck says no. I think I'm right. Or at least right enough.

The mega-Box o' Ramen reminds me to give a shout-out to Ashleigh, Tricia, and My Contractor -- who all love the Ramen. Dig me, girls! Forty-eight glamorous Ramen meals for seven bucks! Who's the Frugal Gourmet now?!

If I could get the table cleaned off I could put away my Merry Christmas tablecloth. The coats hanging on the backs of the chairs represent a lost cause.

It's just sad.

On the bright side, look at all the wine we got from our party guests!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I really have to hold myself back from some poor-boundaries, inappropriate displays of affection for you. But..I feel so much less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our counter top is usually at least this bad - but your items all seem to at least belong in a kitchen. From across the room i can see a social studies book, christmas ribbon, a pack of highlighters and a "Paint Your Own Monster" kit on my kitchen counter (among other items). And, we have the same coat situation at our house

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you can actually see part of your countertops is an achievement - well done.

    ~AN~

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it is all clean you can celebrate with some of the wine..think of it that way to motivate yourself or just the heck with it and just drink as you clean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you, Liz! And my in-laws (tangent...from Lake Ridge) are coming next week. Yikes! Just think of the mess as proof that you live a full life and have lots of fun! On your first tangent...we ound those starbuck straw cups on sale here in Spain. My friend, Tiff, foudn the same stats you did on ebay and we those about selling them on there, but I gave them out as Christmas presents instead.It was the nice thing to do, but I still think about the 600% profit I could have made. We bought them here in Spain for the equivalent of $8. think of me while your cleaning up and I'll think of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could that be why you haven't blogged since Friday...just kidding. My sister in Branson had one two years ago. I saw it and had to have it. I also ended up on Ebay, but gave up when I saw the price. Crazy! I'm amazed Starbucks hasn't restocked them. Holly

    ReplyDelete