Monday, April 19, 2010

I dare you not to smile!

OK, so I admit that I was one of those girls who had every word of "The Sound of Music" memorized. Notice that I did not say "every song." Nope -- I can recite pretty much all of the dialogue too. It makes me either very lame or too awesome for words that I can do this for many, many musicals: "Oklahoma!" (obviously), "White Christmas," "High Society," "A Chorus Line," "My Fair Lady," "Camelot!," "Gigi," "Easter Parade," "Damned Yankees," "Guys and Dolls," "Fiddler on the Roof" . . . . My list could continue, but you get the picture.

tangent: As some of you may remember, my mother's people live in Oklahoma; I knew the words to that song before I knew "The Star-Spangled Banner." I'm not kidding.

My love for "The Sound of Music," though, is a love that I bet I share with most of you. I grew up watching it on television once a year as a "special event." Later, it was one of the first videos I owned ( along with "Mary Poppins" -- hands down the best movie ever made. I mean, what's not to love about a film that contains the words, "Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish." ??).

That's why this YouTube video makes me so happy. How can you not smile and sing along?


3 comments:

  1. I love the Sound of Music and have all the songs in my iPod Nano. I sing along to them during bike tours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so silly, but these things always make me tear up. The first time I saw one of the flash mob dances was on Oprah right after we got to Spain. I don't know if it was the jet lag or PMS, but the Black Eyed Peas were singing that "I've Got A Feeling" song and my friend and husband walked in and saw me crying and thought I was nuts. I just think there has been so much ugliness between peopel and groups of people lately that I'm truly touched when I see how people can come together to do something light and fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Didnt you go to school in Oklahoma? With Dave?

    xxoox, ~Coleen

    ReplyDelete