Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Snapshot: My heart can't take it.

Aaagh! The oldest girl is driving! Legally! People -- this traumatizes me, but not for the reason you think. The child really is an excellent driver, although she would not appreciate the "Rainman" reference.

tangent: Do you watch "Bones?" My family loves it, including the oldest girl -- who turns out to be somewhat Bones-like herself, in that she is brilliant and very, very literal. We had to spend quite some time explaining to her why it is funny when Bones informs Booth that she is "an excellent driver" and he responds, "back off, Rainman."

But she loves to drive, and now that she has a learner's permit she pesters us constantly to let her drive -- to church, to dance class, to softball practice, to the grocery store. There was never a girl more anxious to get her license and stop feeling like she is at the mercy of a family of people who view a start time more as a suggestion than a requirement. We do drive her crazy.

This is in complete contrast to the tall boy, whose philosophy about driving seems to be summed up this way: "I have a ride." He really does not appear to want his license at all, especially now that college looms ever closer; he knows that beginning in August he will live on a campus where first year students are not allowed to have a car -- and where the subway will take him wherever he wants to go. Whatever -- I mentally thank him every time I pay my car insurance bill.

But the driving girl is testing her wings, and yearns for independence -- which will be one step closer with that driver's license. She's thrilled to be growing up. And that's what traumatizes me.

5 comments:

  1. LOL Liz...my daughter also has her learners permit. I'm enjoying her taking the wheel for a change and am really looking forward to her "real license" when I will enlist her for carpool help. (oh, and my son is quite literal as well...gets it from me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oldest girl still has a bit of kid left in her - yesterday she played a rousing game of hide and seek tag with a gaggle of 10 and 7 years olds (plus one 4 year old who refuses to be left out!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest has his permit... it really makes you feel old when your kids are driving you areound *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love, love, love that I've got one driving kid (who happily hauls Liz's tall boy) and another on-the-way. CHANGED my life! If I could get the heart-shaped faced girl a license and a set of keys, I'd do it in a heartbeat! The growing up part far outweighs the living in my car part! And, you've ALWAYS got a designated driver! Life is Good.

    ~Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 21 and still on my Ls...I've been very lazy with learning to drive a car. My parents gave me an ultimatum which is the end of May. Getting a car and license looks very dim right now.

    Congrats on your little lady getting her license.

    ReplyDelete