Monday, August 17, 2009

Read this book!

OK, so I haven't explicitly talked before about my addiction, but I feel we know each other well enough now that I can open myself to you without you judging me . . . ? Please?

You need to know that I am addicted to books. All books. Alright -- I might walk away from a calculus textbook unmoved, but anything else -- that's my genre. I've got it bad, people. If I'm asked what my favorite book is, I freeze. How could I ever choose?! I have a constantly changing top-five favorites list, but that's really a futile exercise. I just love 'em all.

This has serious consequences for the flat surfaces of my home. It's tricky to find a place to park my can of Coke.

Up 'til now I have held myself back from discussing books with you, because, let's be honest -- I might never shut up. But as you know I recently visited nirvana the United Kingdom -- home to A.S. Byatt, Anthony Trollope, Jane Austen, Evelyn Waugh, Geoffrey Chaucer, J.K. Rowling, Anita Brookner, Salmon Rushdie . . . . OK, now I'm out of breath.



So now that I am home I do feel compelled to recommend one of my favorite books: Persuasion, by Jane Austen. Now, lots of people are Austen lovers, based solely (and justly) on reading her Pride and Prejudice -- but while I bow down before Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy with all of you, my heart beats just a little faster for Persuasion. The poignant story of love and loss just moves me deeply.



And, oooh! The movie version is yummy! Starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds (oh, my dears! Ciaran Hinds! Where are my smelling salts?) it's remarkably faithful to the book, beautifully filmed -- in Bath, people! And did I mention Ciaran Hinds?

Read the book! Then watch the movie, and go read the book again!

4 comments:

  1. Even if I saw Ciarán Hinds in Jane Eyre the first time, Persuasion is also one of my favourite books and the film with Ciarán Hinds and Amanda Root. Very close to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's such a good actor (not leaving out that he's yummy to look at). Loved him in "Rome," adored him in "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please do talk about books, I do love a good book discussion and I love to hear what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Polly -- be careful what you ask for!! But I'm game if you are!

    ReplyDelete