Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Voter-palooza!




I was so happy to vote with the tall boy today.  Check out that sticker, people.  The tall boy is very proud -- it's his first one!


Here in Virginia, we had huge turnout everywhere.  On the radio and on Facebook, everyone was talking about how crowded the polling places have been and how long they waited.  My boy and I stood in a long, snaky line for over an hour.  And you know what?  That was fine with me.  It was a privilege to wait with my friends and neighbors (I said "hi!" to my Contractor's husband, the deacon's wife, our County Supervisor -- standing in line with his son, just like I was -- and the realtor who sold us our house).


I was honored to be voting with everyone else in the nation -- including the citizens of Staten Island, who mean it, y'all.


And I will never take the privilege for granted.  We are so lucky to live in this time and this place -- where we call the campaign a battleground, but no one will vote with a gun to his or her head.

Today is a great day to choose a President!

IMAGE CREDIT:
"Staten Island Voters" -- Seth Wenig/AP (2012)

3 comments:

  1. It's also a happy day when we know results within hours instead of weeks. Despite the storm, the questionable ID practices, the staffing situations, the equipment shortages, the lines (how wonderful!), and the fierce loyalties (gotta love that, too!), the meetings and mending can get underway today, instead of just days ahead of an inaugural ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly. And it's good to see that the tall boy is well enough to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several years ago, I swithced to vote by mail ballot. Much easier. --Christine

    ReplyDelete