Friday, July 24, 2009

What's on your fridge?


My friend Coleen wants to paint a word border around the top of her kitchen walls -- she sees it as a way of displaying a collection of quotations that sum up her life as a mother, a wife, a student of life. Here is the quotation that will go right above the fridge:

Here's your popsicle -- now get the hell out.

As for me, I like to stick pithy sayings on my refrigerator. Here's what's motivating me right now:

Be the change you want to see.
-- Gandhi


So much to do -- so few people to do it for me . . .

Life is good.

Things have never been the same
since that house fell on my sister.


I cannot live without books.
-- Thomas Jefferson


and a small little button that reminds me to:

RAISE FUNNY PEOPLE.

Of course, this is on my fridge, too:


As someone once said -- I'm just keepin' it real.

What do you have on your refrigerator? What inspires you, annoys you, or just makes you laugh? Please leave a comment -- I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. "A woman like me is hard to find. But the kitchen is a good place to start."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Liz! Awesome blog.

    Here's what sits at the top of our fridge (just above the lyrics for Fred Small's wonderful hymn "Everything Possible"):

    If there is to be peace in the world,
    there must be peace in the nations.

    If there is to be peace in the nations,
    there must be peace in the cities.

    If there is to be peace in the cities,
    there must be peace between neighbors.

    If there is to be peace between neighbors,
    there must be peace in the home.

    If there is to be peace in the home,
    there must be peace in the heart.

    -- Lao Tse

    (Yes, we have a pretty wordy fridge.)

    And of course we have the "... so few people to do it for me" magnet (guess which child picked it out for a sibling).

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not on my fridge, but hanging in my kitchen is a small placque - "Ask not what your mother can do for you, but what you can do for your mother." Unfortunately, the small people the sign is intended for don't understand what it means!
    ~Kathy~

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Here's your popsicle -- now get the hell out."

    PRICELESS!!! And I do so love the Wizard of Oz reference - I have a similar quotation on my Facebook profile. I have sticky pieces of "art work" on my fridge right now, and waaaay too many magnets, but few quotations. Well, I do have a magnet that says "I know I came in here for a reason..." which sums me up in a far-too-close-to-home kinda way.

    Well Liz, it took me a long time to finally get here to your blog ;) If this post is indicative of the rest of it, I'm going to be here a while soaking it up.

    Have an awesome day! Come visit me again soon - like on Wednesday, to participate in my Silly Haiku Wednesday meme. It's fun, easy (I promise), and addictive!

    ReplyDelete